Thursday, December 10, 2009
Four new historical markers have been installed this fall along Maryland's roadways
To learn more about Maryland's Roadside Historical Markers Click Here
BALTIMORE SLAVE TRADE
Clarence Logan and Ralph Clayton proposed a marker to commemorate the tens of thousands of slaves who were held in Baltimore by slave traders and shipped South until 1864. Slave holding pens and markets were concentrated in the Inner Harbor and Fells Point areas. The streets where people today enjoy commerce and tourism once carried the traffic of human suffering.
Where: Front of Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History and Culture, 830 E. Pratt Street, Baltimore.
Scott Sheads, National Park Service historian with Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine, and Paul Stysley, of Friends of Riverside Park, proposed a marker to commemorate Fort Look-Out, a military site in Baltimore that played a role in the defense of Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.
Where: Riverside Park, East Randall Street at Riverside Avenue, Baltimore.
Text: DURING THE WAR OF 1812, A CIRCULAR 180’ EARTHEN ARTILLERY REDOUBT WAS ERECTED AS A DEFENSE FOR FORT McHENRY. ON SEPTEMBER 13, 1814, LT. GEORGE BUDD COMMANDED NAVAL FORCES THAT ASSISTED IN REPULSING A NIGHTTIME BRITISH ATTACK ON THE FERRY BRANCH DEFENSES OF FORTS COVINGTON AND BABCOCK. IN CA. 1828, ALFRED J. MILLER PAINTED “THE BOMBARDMENT OF FORT McHENRY” FROM HERE.
ANNAPOLIS WATER COMPANY
Annapolis Mayor Ellen Moyer proposed a marker to commemorate the history of the Annapolis Water Company, a site retaining many of its historic features within the Annapolis Waterworks Park, open to the public for hiking and catch and release fishing.
Where: Waterworks Park, one mile west of the Annapolis Mall on Rt. 450 (Defense Highway).
PRINCESS ANNE TOWN
Somerset County Historical Trust Chairwoman Gale Yerges requested a new marker for Princess Anne Town to replace an older marker that had been destroyed in an automobile accident. The new marker corrects inaccuracies found in the original marker.
Where: Manokin River Park, Somerset Avenue (MD 675), Princess Anne.
Photo Courtesy of the Crisfield Times. Photo by Richard Crumbacker.